How many simultaneous users on a VAX-11/730?

Dave Sherman dave at utcsrgv.UUCP
Tue Feb 21 22:11:53 AEST 1984

A friend of mine is looking at getting a VAX-11/730 for the law
school at York University. They have no control over the choice of
machine, since this is a surplus one from elsewhere in the university.

The proposed application is primarily word processing under UNIX, with
the capability to do some CAI and other things too.

He has been told that the 730 can support 15 users reasonably well.
However, that's under VMS. I don't know about VMS, but it sounds awfully
high for UNIX on a 730.

Can anyone running a 730 under UNIX (they'll get a Berkeley UNIX, by
the way) give me some idea of the bearable load under the particular
application they have? Thanks.

Dave Sherman
(416) 947 3466
--
 {allegra,cornell,decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo}!utcsrgv!dave