A proposal

Gene Spafford spaf at gatech.UUCP
Wed Feb 8 03:43:32 AEST 1984

I was looking through one of my archives on another system and
found the following.  I think there may be merit in the idea.
Anybody out there have any comments?

Begin Inserted Text:

# 366
>From : PHIL REED                   To : USER FRIENDLIES
Subject : AN IDEA                Date : Wed. 12/09/81 10:56
Has anyone thought of grafting the pseudo-English parser of Zork
or other dungeon games onto a shell? Not only would it be a cheap
way to get the more natural syntax some people say they want,
it could provide a very amusing interface, and add glamour and
excitement to ordinary work:

% go to bin
you are in ~jon/bin. there are many files here.
% look
you are in ~jon/bin. the directory contains:
     date
     date.c
     readtape
     scramble
the only exit is up.
% use date to create tmp
done!
% take tmp
taken.
% open tmp
you open tmp to reveal:
     Tue. November 24, 1981 (2:00pm EST)
% take date.c
taken.
% look
you are in ~jon/bin. the directory contains:
     date
     readtape
     scramble
the only exit is up.
% inventory
you are carrying:
     date.c
     tmp
% goto src
you are in ~jon/src. there are many files here.
% drop date.c
dropped.
% throw tmp at printer
the printer catches your file, turns it into paper, and
leaves it in the basement.
% look
your are in ~jon/src. the directory contains:
     date.c
     scramble.c
     readtape.c
there are exits marked 'zshell' and 'secret'
as well as the path leading up.
% xyzzy
you are back in your home directory. there are many files here.
% run foo
the foo dumps core.
Oh dear! you seem to have gotten yourself killed.
% attack core with sdb
   .
   .
   .

(downloaded from the Original NorthStar BBS, run by Microstuf.)

End Inserted Text.

--
Off the Wall of Gene Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332