vi: function keys; termcap: k0-k9; terminfo

Kurt Vangsness kav at ih1ap.UUCP
Sat Feb 11 00:36:16 AEST 1984

:ab foo foo doesn't cause the bug. Here is a re-posting of an
article that described the bug:

----------
>From ihnp4!houxm!mhuxa!mhuxi!mhuxt!eagle!harpo!seismo!rlgvax!cvl!umcp-cs!chris Wed Dec 31 18:00:00 1969
From: chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Newsgroups: net.bugs.4bsd,net.unix-wizards
Subject: Re: Bug_in_vi_map_funtion
Date: Thu, 9-Jun-83 07:17:30 CDT

Speaking of VI map bugs, here's a cute bug that's very similar.  Type

	:ab bar bar-bell

then  (in  insert  mode)  type 'bar'.  Wheee!  Lots of fun, if you like
watching the cursor move.  Now hit DEL.  Gosh!   Where  did  all  those
'bell's come from?  (The latter doesn't always happen, and when it does
you usually get some strange control character too).  I ran  into  this
bug  once  when  I tried to abbreviate someone's first name to his full
name, or some such.

Vi  should  notice  that  it's expanding the abbreviation and refuse to
expand it again, so that it won't endless  loop.    It  would  even  be
acceptable  to  stop  expanding  ALL abbreviations, as long as it stops
expanding the initial one.