YADS - Yet Another DECtape Story

Martin Taylor mmt at dciem.UUCP
Sun Feb 12 14:15:30 AEST 1984

============
A lot of people didn't want to build kits, so Clark approached a local
firm that made plug-in boards, and got them to build the kits for the
fumble-fingered.  The outfit sold a few, got good responses, cleaned up
the design a bit (keeping the 12 bit format and 8 instructions) and,
viola`!  The PDP-8.  I think the outfit is still in business.
                                       Ed Nather
Nice story, but the PDP-8 was a remake of the PDP-5, developed by
DEC for Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd.  The LINC-8, If I remember
correctly, combined the instruction sets of the LINC and the PDP-8
under (software?) switch control. Later it turned into the PDP-12.
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt