'exit(1);' considered useless (slight flame)

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Mon Feb 20 05:10:28 AEST 1984

> (Forgive me, I'm reconstructing this from memory, and I don't
> have access to the Athena system right now--I think the
> declarations of char *sys_errlist[] and int sys_nerr are
> available from some include file on 4.xBSD.  If you don't have
> those, look at the source for perror, and see where it gets its
> error message strings (if you don't have the source for perror, I
> guess you could use adb on a program which uses it, and
> rebuild the table--I can't tell you, cause Mother Bell wouldn't like
> it if I did).)

No, the declarations aren't available in an include file under 4.xBSD
(besides, that wouldn't help people running V7 or S3/S5 if it wasn't
there), but they are available in /usr/man/man3/perror.3 or, if you
want hard copy, in the manual page PERROR(3) in the UNIX (Programmer's|User's)
Manual.  Not *every* nice feature of UNIX is totally undocumented...
"sys_errlist" and "sys_nerr" are, indeed, what you said they are.

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy