Question about ustat(2) and free disk space

John Rogers jr at forcm5.UUCP
Tue Feb 21 15:21:16 AEST 1984

Hello.  I was reading "The Programmer's Workbench" (an article in the 1978
special UNIX issue of the Bell Systems Technical Journal), and I noticed the
following sentence:

	"The ustat system call was added to allow programs to discover the
	amount of free space remaining in a file system."

Since I haven't seen ustat in the V7, Sys III, or 4.1BSD documentation, I'd
like to know:

	1) What happened to ustat?
	2) What are/were it's arguments?  I assume it returned a long, for
	   the number of bytes (where -1 might mean an error of some sort).
	3) How can someone do the same thing without using the ustat system
	   call?
	4) How does df(1) work?

Thanks in advance...
				Chief question asker