inittab entries

Geoff Kuenning geoff at proper.UUCP
Tue Feb 7 20:23:59 AEST 1984

The general problem of making stty settings last past a close is insoluble
in standard Unix because the TTY drivers set up the default terminal
characteristics on the first open.  This seems undesirable to me because
many people want to set up serial printers, etc.  In the Unix System V
shipped by Callan Data Systems (my employer), I have take the liberty of
solving this by making the following nonstandard kernel modification:

When a TTY is closed, the baud rate and terminal characteristics are not
modified unless "hangup-on-close" (stty "hupcl" option) is set, in which
case the baud rate is set to zero.  When a TTY is opened, the terminal
characteristics and baud rate are initialized *ONLY* if the baud rate was
previously zero.

This allows TTY settings to be preserved by the simple expedient of including
"-hupcl" in the stty command.  If you want TTY settings to default to the
system standard, you simply set "hupcl".  Simple and, as far as I can tell,
non-dangerous.