How to generate a break/disconnect?

ddc at druky.UUCP ddc at druky.UUCP
Sat Feb 18 06:09:00 AEST 1984

==================================

I have a desk-top micro running UN*X 5.0.  I also have a digital phone
with data connection (System 85).

I want uucp (et.al.) to be able to dial out.  To get the phone's (switch's)
attention, one must send a break signal.

Question: how does one get the (acu?) software (names, please) to generate
the break signal to get the switch's attention.

Incidentally, once the connection is made, the break signal is passed thru
unchanged, i.e., the phone system becomes transparent to breaks.

A corollary question involves the hangup procedure.  To hang up, the
DTE (computer) must diddle one of the RS-232 lines, probably the DTE ready
line.  The switch then disconnects.

Question: how does an application level program signal to UN*X or the driver
or whatever s/w in the loop that the appropriate RS-232 line is to be diddled?
Close the device/file?

At this point I don't know which line it is, but a little experimentation
will quickly tell (I do know that pulling the plug causes the disconnect).

I really don't want to hear that I have to write a special device driver. :-)

David Custer
AT&T-ISL, Denver, 30F103
(303) 538-3517
druky!ddc