Area-code as uucp domains - (nf)

preece at uicsl.UUCP preece at uicsl.UUCP
Thu Jan 26 13:36:49 AEST 1984

#R:hogpc:-32500:uicsl:21300001:000:635
uicsl!preece    Jan 25 07:47:00 1984

Area code seems like a useful domain specifier.  I don't like the
proposed punctuation, however. Using (areacode)name means that in
addition to the domain specifier itself we would need to type two
additional SHIFTED characters for each name in the path.  That adds
up to a substantial typing overhead. I'd suggest the
punctuation should be a single character and not a shifted
character.  It should be noted, also, that a lot of the names do
carry some mnemonic value.  The domain-specified names will be much
harder to remember; sure, Boston's easy, but some states have a lot
of area codes.

scott preece
ihnp4!uiucdcs!uicsl!preece