Need restor/fsck help

sew at minn-ua.UUCP sew at minn-ua.UUCP
Sat Jan 28 06:28:09 AEST 1984

I need some help with either `restor` or `fsck`.  I'm sure this and the
solution should be on the net, as I fear all UN*X manuals probably are just as
sketchy on recovery procedures as mine are.

The dump was made with:
	dump u0fk /dev/rfd1 851 /dev/rroot
And restored with:
	/etc/umount /dev/rusr		{dismount secondary disk}
	/etc/mkfs /dev/rpf1 9728 1 64	{empty secondary disk}
	restor fr /dev/rfd1 /dev/rusr	{load dump of primary disk on secondary}
		...then shutdown, switched disks, and rebooted...

The system booted just fine.  I tried `fsck` to make sure it was OK.  Fsck
got through its first phases, then (in the fifth phase, I think) said:
	BAD FREE BLK COUNT
	BAD FREE LIST
	SALVAGE?
after an hour of trying to find someone who could confirm it, I answered:
	SALVAGE? y
it did its thing and ordered:
	BOOT UNIX (NO SYNC!)
it wanted no sync..fine..hit RESET and booted.
	df
Oh-oh. Over 2,000 blocks free?  Only had 300 when dump was taken.  Did several
`ls` to see if some directories bashed.  All seemed unaffected.  Then again:
	df
	bad free count, b=7778
	317
Apparently either `restor` reloaded something which was damaged on the original
disk, or `fsck` was unable to fix something which it was complaining about.  It
looks like at the very least the free list is messed up.

Scot E. Wilcoxon
ihnp4!stolaf!umn-cs!minn-ua!sew