UNIX Family Tree? - (nf)

lee at fortune.UUCP lee at fortune.UUCP
Thu Jan 5 11:07:11 AEST 1984

#R:dartvax:-55400:fortune:26900012:000:1230
fortune!lee    Jan  4 16:59:00 1984

-
MULTICS is a distant relative of UNIX.  MULTICS runs on expensive
machines with many levels of protections.  It has almost everything
an operating system should have, if one is willing to pay for the cost.
UNIX started with the PDP11 using some ideas of MULTICS, i.e. I/O
redirections, fork and exec.  Since UNIX runs on cheaper and simplier
machines, it got more popular with programmers.  Bell Labs released the
early versions of UNIX (System I and II internally) with the sixth edition
of the manual (So, people named it version 6).  Berkeley hacked up
version 6 and shared it with other institutions.  Bell labs incorporated
some Berkeley features and released the version 7 ( this is where the
compatibility ended).  Bell labs went on with system III internally
and Berkeley developed BSD4.1.  Eventually, Bell labs decided to
support UNIX officially and released system III while developing
system IV.  Berkeley turned to virtual memory with BSD4.2.  Bell
labs decided to support the same version they sell and use (Finally!),
but didn't want to use the number 4 or IV.  Naturally, they use
the name system V while developing VI,VII, etc. And so it goes ...

  c  / 			Ed Lee
 C. /_.  	{amd70, ihnp4, harpo}!fortune!lee