4.2BSD: <sys/mtio.h>

Greg Woods woods at hao.UUCP
Wed Jan 18 05:11:10 AEST 1984

  We have just converted to 4.2BSD, and I am having some trouble with
the mag tape ioctl(2) calls. In the include file <sys/mtio.h>, the old
MTIOCTOP is defined as "_IOW(m,1,struct mtop)". When I try to recompile
some libraries I had to do mag tape operations, the variable "m" is
giving a compiler error, since it was not declared in my old software,
and was not needed there. My problem is, I can't find *any* documentation
or source for _IOW, so I have no idea what "m" is or how to fix my program
to work (it used to run under 4.1aBSD). Does anyone out there know where to
find source and/or documentation for _IOW under 4.2, and/or know what the
function of the mysterious "m" is? Thanks for any help.

		     GREG
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!kpno | harpo!seismo | ihnp4!kpno}
       		        !hao!woods