lpr problems - (nf)

mike at smu.UUCP mike at smu.UUCP
Tue Jan 31 14:36:46 AEST 1984

#N:smu:18500004:000:1171
smu!mike    Jan 29 13:50:00 1984

                              HELP!

We have had a 780 up and running 4.2BSD  for  about  four  months
now.   We are using an Imagen Imprint-10 as our primary hard-copy
device.  At the recommendation of the Imagen people, we  are  us-
ing  the  centralized  queueing facilities (lpr) for this printer
instead of the supplied stuff (ipr).  We have *never*  been  able
to   get  the  queueing system to work properly. The problem lies
in the queue management; when two or more files are  sent  to  be
printed  in  rapid  succession,  the queue hangs and nothing else
will print.  The printer's status is reported as either ``job  in
progress'' or ``unknown''.  The only solution we have found is to
run ``lpc'', abort and then start.   Removing all  jobs from  the
queue also seems to work, but is somewhat less than optimal.

We do not know whether the problem lies  in  the  Imagen  driving
software,  the queuing system, the printer con- troller, or outer
space.  Our friendly local guru has tried vari- ous tweeks to  no
avail.   Please please someone who has  had  this problem give us
a clue as to what dragon needs slaying.

Mike McNally
...allegra!parsec!smu!mike