suggestions for param.h on 11/70 with V7?

Phil Ngai phil at amd70.UUCP
Sat Jan 14 17:28:48 AEST 1984

In the document "REGENERATING SYSTEM SOFTWARE" there is a section called
"System Tuning" which talks about the values of various constants. I would
appreciate suggestions on appropriate values for a site with 64 serial lines
(no, we don't have 64 users at one time), 1 Mb of RAM, and two RP06s. I am
particularly interested in NBUF, NPROC, NINODE, CMAPSIZ, SMAPSIZ, NCALL, and
NTEXT. The manual claims a value of 50 for [CS]MAPSIZ is enough, but I wonder.
We have 15 Mb of swap, is that reasonable?

Also, since I'll probably want to increase some buffers until I run out of
room, what's the maximum that data+bss should be? From my limited knowledge
I expect the top mapping register to be used for the I/O page, leaving 56Kb
for kernel data. Are there other considerations I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.
--
Phil Ngai (408) 988-7777 {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra,intelca}!amd70!phil