problems with restor

jlh%amsaa at sri-unix.UUCP jlh%amsaa at sri-unix.UUCP
Tue Jan 17 23:48:49 AEST 1984

From:      John Halliburton (SSAO) <jlh at amsaa>

  Unless you are using an acient version of bmd unix...you probably should
be using 'restor tv' to print your directory instead of 'dumpdir'.  To my
knowledge the whole directory is put on the first tape.  We have not experienced
the exact same problem, however we did discover that unless you are restoring
intirely from 0 level dumps, restore puts back deleted files.  Which can be
real fun if you are running on limited file space.  Please forward any other
info/ problems you have had since we are very interested in any 'flakes' in
dump or restor.......if you can't trust your backup utility, why bother to
waste all those tapes...
                               john halliburton