Summary of Responses to Disk Partitions on large disks

Spencer W. Thomas thomas at utah-gr.UUCP
Wed Jan 11 15:00:20 AEST 1984

Re doing full saves only every 6 months.  You should make D**M sure that
those tapes are readable and have NO errors (or potential errors)!  I
have been bit too many times by unreadable save tapes.  Luckily, we do
full saves once a month, so I can usually back up a month and still get
the file I want.  If I had to back up almost a year, there would be much
less chance of it being there.  A simple check is
	dd if=/dev/rmt8 of=/dev/null bs=20b
In fact, J Lepreau here modified our (4.1) dump program to re-read each
tape in a save-set after writing it, checking for errors.  If a read
bombed, it would then prompt to remount a NEW tape and resave that
volume.  This was after we found that tape 5 of a 10 tape filesave had a
nasty bad spot in the middle.

Moral: Don't assume that just because it's been put on a save tape you
can get it back.

=Spencer