Raw vs. block device. I'm confused.

Phil Ngai phil at amd70.UUCP
Mon Jan 9 14:09:02 AEST 1984

Steve Dyer, your article was helpful to a novice like me. But it raises
another question. I once had a slightly corrupt root filesystem which
I fixed by using adb. I can't remember whether I used the raw or block
device but from your article I must have used the block device. The
question is: should I sync or not before rebooting the system? If I
don't sync, then the area I adb'd won't be written. If I do sync, which
takes precedence, the in-core superblock or the block I adb'd?
--
Phil Ngai (408) 988-7777 {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra,intelca}!amd70!phil