UNIX History

Patrick A. Fargo pat at ih1ap.UUCP
Thu Jan 12 23:06:26 AEST 1984

Thanks to Guy Harris for the corrections. In response to his other questions:

	1). Why was UNIX/RT canned instead of TS? Good question! I believe
	    because of staffing a choice had to be made. Since DMERT was RT
	    based and would be supported, USG felt UNIX/TS had more potential
 	    from a computer center standpoint.

	2). Was UNIX/TS+ another modified UNIX/TS?  Yes, the UNIX/TS Augmented
	    that I spoke of was actually called UNIX/TS++. Modifications were
	    made that were mostly hidden from the user interface.

	3). What was CB-UNIX based on?  CB-UNIX was a modified MERT. The
	    SCCS project modified extensively, the version of MERT they had.
	    Later, they incorporated the MERT changes in UNIX/RT releases.
	    Eventually, an agreement to take the requested CB modifications
	    into the standard UNIX/RT product was reached and that line of
	    modified O.S. ceased.

Thanks again for the corrections,

P. A. Fargo
AT&T Bell Laboratories IH