Mag Tape Interface Questions

kkl at celerity.UUCP kkl at celerity.UUCP
Thu May 31 23:21:52 AEST 1984

I am interested in knowing the answers to the following
questions:

	1) What applications or utilities use the mag tape ioctls
for 'backspace file' and 'backspace record'? Are they primarily
of historic interest or are the functions used by current
applications and utilities?

	2) What applications or utilities use the block interface
to mag tape?  Do any of these applications require backwards
positioning of the tape?

There are new streaming tape units on the market which do not support
backwards movement. I would like to know if such a device can
support the mag tape functions which are necessary for the day-to-day
operation of UNIX.

Please mail responses to my network address.   Thanks in advance.

--
	Karl
	(Karl Lehman)