question about csh quoting - (nf)

mcnabb at uiuccsb.UUCP mcnabb at uiuccsb.UUCP
Fri May 11 00:16:00 AEST 1984

#R:noscvax:-43300:uiuccsb:19300016:000:869
uiuccsb!mcnabb    May 10 09:16:00 1984

     > When I tried that (4.2bsd with csh) it did the following:
     > 		%echo "Don't do that!"
     > 		": Event not found.
     > Is this something different in the c-shell, or is this an
     > error in the c-shell?

You told the csh to echo the string "Don't do that" followed by the
string returned by the history substitution !", but since you had not
previously run any commands beginning with the character " the csh
could not make the !" substitution.  It could not find the (history)
event beginning with ".  If it had, you would then have gotten a message
Unmatched " since you need another " at the end.
Correct way:
				% echo "Don't do that\!"
Just for grins, try running:
				% "echo" hi
				% echo "Don't do that!"
				% echo "Don't do that!""

        D. McNabb
        USENET:	...!{pur-ee,ihnp4}!uiucdcs!mcnabb
        CSNET:	mcnabb.uiuc at rand-relay