question about csh quoting

merlyn at sequent.UUCP merlyn at sequent.UUCP
Tue May 15 03:28:07 AEST 1984

> From: seifert at ihuxl.UUCP
> Date: Fri, 11-May-84 05:41:31 PDT
>
> ...The only problem I've
> seen with this is that all the decwriter consoles have big
> signs on them saying don't use ^p. Appariently it locks up a
> decwriter....

It isn't the decwriter that gets locked up.  The VAX cpu senses ^P
on the console (when not in Secure mode) as the "front-panel" trigger...
your decwriter becomes the VAX's front panel.  For example, ^P
followed by H halts the cpu, and ^P followed by B reboots it.
^P followed by other incantations dumps out registers, memory, and
so on.

Not a nice thing to do while UNIX is up and running!

If you leave the front panel keyswitch in "secure", that won't happen
though.  It's nothing to do with the fact that you have a decwriter for
a console.

-- A particularly personal and original observation from the thought-stream of
Randal L. ("control-P'ed") Schwartz, esq. (merlyn at sequent.UUCP)
	(Official Legendary Sorcerer of the 1984 Summer Olympics)
Sequent Computer Systems, Inc. (503)626-5700 (sequent = 1/quosine)
UUCP: {decwrl,ogcvax,pur-ee,rocks34,shell,unisoft,vax135,verdix}!sequent!merlyn

P.S. UNIX is a trademark of somebody.  VAX is a tradmark of Dec.  Decwriter
probably is too, now that I think about it.