How to you format a CDC 9766 (RM05)?

mark at elsie.UUCP mark at elsie.UUCP
Wed May 30 01:04:25 AEST 1984

<>
We have recently received a CDC 9766 SMD disk (equivalent to an RM05), with
a controller (from AVIV) that is supposed to be a DEC emulator. Trouble is,
the standard DEC RM05 formater, EVRAC, does not seem to work under the
diagnostic suppervisor in stand alone (i.e. non-VMS) mode. Even the DEC
people don't seem to know how to do it without running VMS. This is
certainly a problem other people must have run into; soooo,

How do you format an RM05 disk using Console Mode and the Diagnostic
Supervisor loaded from a TU58 tape?

We have a VAX 11/750, running 4.1 bsd. Two RM80 disks (hence we would like
to avoid bring up VMS on it -- an all day job), TS11 tape, etc.

			Thanx,

--
Mark J. Miller
NIH/NCI/DCE/LEC