DEC UNIX

M.SAMUELS samuels at houxz.UUCP
Thu May 31 21:23:45 AEST 1984

For those interested in DEC UNIX*, ask your DEC rep. for the latest
edition of a booklet called the UNIX Software Guidebook (1st ed.-1983).
Or, write to:

				Attn.: G. Deforge
				Printing and Circulation Services
				Digital Equipment Corporation
				444 Whitney Street
				Northboro, MA  01532

The order no. for the booklet is EJ-25541-20.

DEC's UNIX is called V7M-11, a "modified and enhanced version of UNIX
Version 7.  It includes the Bourne Shell, Shell Scripts, Pipes, Assembler,
and the C and F77 compilers.  It also has VI from Version 3.7 Berkeley
UNIX.   Some of the differences claimed by DEC are:

	1.  installation - field reconfigurable from binaries
	2.  system generation - through interactive program SYSGEN.
	3.  system tuning - kernal internal data structures can be
            set at system generation w/o recompiling source code modules.
	4.  supports Digital Storage Architecture disks
	5.  can support up to 12 users on non-separate I and D
            space processors, though it will use sep. I and D space
            for systems that have it.
	6.  different UNIBUS allocation algorithm to allow several
	    devices to use the map concurrently.

There are several others listed in the UNIX Software Guidebook.  RATFOR,
BASIC, the Macro Processor, and GAMES are included from Version 7 but
are not supported.

We have been looking into DEC's UNIX for some simulation work, but no
decision has been made yet - so I can't comment on any of the claimed
features.  Any comments on that in the net??????????

							Mike Samuels
							houxz!samuels
							AT&T Bell Labs
							Rm. 4H202
							Crawfords Corner Rd.
							Holmdel, NJ 07733
							(201) 949-6602

*
 UNIX is a trademark of AT&T Bell Laboratories