UNIX Shell Editor

Example #22 dyer at vaxuum.DEC
Wed May 9 04:23:49 AEST 1984

Re: UNIX Shell Editor__________________________________________________________

	Good stuff.  I might make a suggestion, though:  If your site has any
VAXen running VMS, it might be wise to use a different set of control charac-
ters.  Specifically,

	    o ^B instead of ^A to redisplay a line,
	    o ^D instead of ^Y to backspace,
	    o ^F instead of ^C to go forward,
	    o ^A instead of ^E to insert characters,
	    o ^T instead of ? to verify that you're still in the program, and
	    o ^Z instead of ^P to exit the shell editor.

	I don't know if I'm allowed to tell you why, yet.  Just trust me when
I tell you that it will make life easier for your users.

	To be fair, I believe that Data General's AOS/VS implements a set of
control keys that work the same way.  If you're running AOS/VS at your site, it
might be wise to use whatever control characters your AOS/VS users are used to.
		<_Jym_>
: Jym Dyer : Nashua, NH : ...{allegra,decvax,ucbvax}decwrl!rhea!vaxuum!dyer :