Interesting Bourne shell usage, and ^ for pipe

Dave Sherman dave at utcsrgv.UUCP
Thu May 31 12:02:59 AEST 1984

Bill Stewart comments on my use of ^ instead of | for the pipe.
That, of course, goes back to v6 (and beyond); I've always used
it. I got started on UNIX using terminals on which ^ was lower-case
and | was upper-case, so ^ was used automatically. Nowadays I use
VT-100's and compatibles, which tend to have ^ as shift-6 and | as
shift-\, but I can't/won't break the ^ habit. Yes, grep "^abc" file
is a case in which it would be useful to have ^ as a non-special character,
but I can live with it.

Dave Sherman
Toronto
--

 dave at Toronto (CSnet)
 {allegra,cornell,decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo}!utcsrgv!dave