booting 4.2BSD

Sid Shapiro ss at wivax.UUCP
Wed May 30 03:59:26 AEST 1984

Hi folks, I am posting this here rather than the wizards group because
I am hoping that I am doing something incredibly silly.  BUT

We are trying to bring up 4.2BSD.  The generic vmunix runs ok.  I am
trying to build a new kernel that fits our configuration.  This is a
780, with all DEC peripherals - nothing strange or esoteric.  Just a
few disks, a tape, and a few dz's.

I have learned that I must have the INET option set because lots of
programs expect it.  Ok.  I have also set the COMPAT option because I
may need to run some 4.1 executables.

But the darn thing won't load.  It has some undefined symbols,
specifically _ipintr, _inet_hash, _inet_netmatch, and _inetdomain.

I can find all but _inetdomain defined in some .c files that are in
.../include/netinet (I think that is the dir name.)  But I never
see that these files are compiled, loaded, included, or anything else
that might cause them to get in the kernel.  And I don't think I can
find _inetdomain anywhere.

I only have a couple of hours per week to get my machine so that I can
work on this, so my memory is sketchy and I can't go look now.

I am suspecting config is incorrectly building the makefile, although
when I fool with it by hand the results are worse (more undefinds).

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong, or have some helpful
suggestions?

Thanks, people.

Sid Shapiro -- Wang Institute of Graduate Studies
    [apollo, bbncca, cadmus, decvax, linus, masscomp]!wivax!ss
    ss%Wang-Inst at Csnet-Relay
	  (617)649-9731