BLTJ special UNIX issue (help: ordering info if outside US)

Ian Kaplan ian at loral.UUCP
Wed Nov 28 04:57:52 AEST 1984

> The blurb in the front of the Journal makes it look like they want payment
> in US funds, or a check drawn on a US Bank, and made out to the Technical
> Journal.  Unfortunately, they don't say how much they want for the issue,
> so you may have to exchange a couple of letters.  Since a full year (ten
> issues) costs $35 ($45 foreign), a single issue shouldn't cost too much.
>
> John P. Linderman  Department of Foreign Affairs  allegra!jpl

  A number of years ago I ordered the original BLTJ issue on UNIX.  As I
  remember the cost was relatively nominal ($5 or something like that).
  Given this past experience I assumed that Mr. Linderman was correct in
  stating that "a single issue shouldn't cost too much.  Well I called
  the number listed in the previous posting which gave the BLTJ table
  of contents.  To my shocked amazement and surprise I was told that the
  new issue of the BLTJ on UNIX was $27.  I gave the "select number" in an
  attempt to make sure that we were talking about the same thing.  It seems
  that we were.  I asked if that price was not perhaps for a year's
  subscription.  I was told that "no, it is the single issue price".  Well
  at least they take major credit cards.  Deregulation sure is saving the
  consumers a lot of money (I better not proceed in this vein or I will
  have to post this to net.flame).

			     Ian Kaplan
			     Loral Data Flow Group
			     Loral Instrumentation