4.2BSD Manual Availability

Spencer W. Thomas thomas at utah-gr.UUCP
Fri Nov 9 02:23:21 AEST 1984

In article <39300022 at uiucdcs.UUCP> liberte at uiucdcs.UUCP writes:
>Some "edge of page" marking should be done to the supplementary documents as
>in the reference guides.  At least mark major sections:  Languages, General
>Reference, etc.  I dont even use these manuals because it takes too long to
>find anything.

The first thing I did when I got my manuals was to take some stick-on
colored "dots" (3/4 inch, I think) and bend one around the edge of the
first page of each document.  With careful spacing, I was able to get 10
locations, thus making translation from the number in the TOC to the
document location easy.  I did find a couple of numbering glitches (one left
out, and, in another manual, one duplicated).  I used different color
dots for each of the manual types (user, programmer, sys admin), and
also stuck the same color dots on the binding (making it easy to pull
the correct one from the shelf).

=Spencer