question re: nroff table definition for 8 lpi printer

Alan Crosswell US.ALAN%CU20B at COLUMBIA.ARPA
Thu Nov 8 05:23:10 AEST 1984

Hi,
  I have tried to define an nroff table (version of nroff is whatever comes
with 4.2bsd) for a printer that has 8 lines/inch instead of the usual 6.
I set up Newline to be INCH/8, Halfline likewise (no halfline capability)
and when I get the output,  each page has a slightly different number of
lines on it (ranging from 71-73 except for the last which comes up 85).
This is using the -man macros on /usr/man/man1/{adb.1,cc.1} for example.
I edit the table to have INCH/6 and the output comes out perfectly with
66 lines/page.  Now INCH == 240,  so both INCH/6 and INCH/8 yield whole
numbers....  Could anyone suggest where I am going wrong or send me a
tabxxx.c that works?
/a
-------