CCI Power6

Harris Reavin harris at imsvax.UUCP
Mon Nov 5 13:33:10 AEST 1984

(bug food)

This is the summary I promised on the responses I got on the CCI Power 6
and OFFICEPOWER. All I received were 2 replies from former
CCI employees who did not want to be identified. Their edited comments follow.
I personally have had no experience with CCI products.
If anyone has any further comments I would like to get them.

comment #1

The cpu itself is superb. Unfortunately, the rest of the system
(expletive deleted). The terminal i/o is a total abomination. Unbelieveably
rude. The disk i/o is ok. There is no hardware floating point.

comment #2

I consider OFFICEPOWER(tm) to be an excellent excellent integrated office
automation product.  It may be that my perception of reality
is warped, but I don't understand why more business aren't
buying it (maybe it needs a three letter blue logo that starts
with 'I').

There is a Power 6/32 on site at OSG, Reston (I think it is the
second or third one manufactured).  It IS fast, but be aware that
those brochures that you may have been receiving from CCI talking
about the 6/32 being 11 (?) times faster than a VAX are correct
only for that particular benchmark (Ackerman function).  I.e. the
6/32 can do function calling a lot faster than the VAX.  I think that
the average for several benchmarks is 6-7 times faster than a VAX,
with the worst benchmark running 4 times faster than a VAX.

In summary, I recommend OFFICEPOWER strongly, but only on a large machine
(like a VAX or Power 6/32).
end of comments
--
		Harris Reavin

UUCP:	{umcp-cs!eneevax || seismo!rlgvax!elsie}!imsvax!harris