Interesting observation -- "one true unix"

Dick Dunn rcd at opus.UUCP
Wed Nov 28 17:49:12 AEST 1984

> ...  They desire control
> over everything.  It doesn't matter that the erase character can
> be changed between Backspce or Delete, just make them the same.  Don't
> give the user the choice of vi or emacs, standardize so we have to maintain
> less.
>
> Any ideas for defending our bastion of 4.2 from the hordes of the SV bastion?
> We have tried the obvious "different and better tools."  This works only
> so far.

Offer them COBOL and MVS on an IBM mainframe.  That's clearly about as
"standard" and "conventional" as you can get--and clearly COBOL is as
powerful as any language, in some theoretical sense.

If they balk at that, you've got a foot in the door; your position is only
a matter of degree.

If they DON'T balk at that, you're in trouble!
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...Reality?  Gad, that's worse than puberty!