Performance of various UN*X versions (by drivax!alan)

Fred Christiansen fred at mot.UUCP
Thu Nov 15 04:17:47 AEST 1984

[]
we run System V Release 2 on a DEC VAX-11/780 here.  we have just under
4Mb RAM.  we have three System Industries "Eagle" drives and one CDC/DEC SMD.
we may have a couple of DZ's, but i know we at least have a KMC and
we're getting an ABLE something-or-other that, i believe, looks like a KMC.
we get slow at 25 users but can push it to 35.  in nearly 2 years, under
SVR1 and now SVR2, we have never had a crash attributable to software --
the dozen or so crashes have been hardware evoked.

for a comparison of SysV vs BSD, see June/84 USENIX proceedings. couple papers.