Wanted: uda driver for 4.1bsd

David Brown david at varian.UUCP
Wed Nov 7 06:01:52 AEST 1984

We are about to add an RA81 to our VAX 11/780, currently running 4.1BSD.
I am interested in getting a good working uda driver.

We currently have the version posted to net.sources last October (1983)
by watmath!arwhite.  (We also have a uda driver that came on the 4.1bsd
distribution tape, but my guess is that this one is better).

Is this the latest and greatest uda driver for 4.1bsd? Are there any bugs in
it? Does it work at all? (I haven't tried using it yet).
Does anyone have a better driver? If so, I'd appreciate if you would
send it or let me know the best way to obtain it.  I'm not much of a
kernel hacker, and am looking for a working driver that I can just install
and obtain fantastic results :-).

Thanks in advance.

	David Brown	 (415) 945-2199
	Varian Instruments 2700 Mitchell Dr.  Walnut Creek, Ca. 94598
	{zehntel,amd,fortune,resonex}!varian!david

The following is the change history from the uda driver that we have:
/*	uda.c	1.3	83/03/11 aps	*/
/*	uda.c	1.3	82/05/12	*/
/*	uda.c	4.3	82/03/14	*/

/*
 * UDA50/RAxx disk device driver
 *
 * Restrictions:
 *	Unit numbers must be less than 8.
 *
 * Change history
 *	10/13/83 watmath!arwhite --
 *			Make udprobe actually go out there and talk to the
 *			controller.  Make udslave actually go out there and
 *			verify the units exist; also allow wildcarded drive #.
 *			Note that these need three changes to autoconf.c:
 *			  i = (*udp->ud_probe)(reg, um->um_ctlr, um);
 *			  if ((*udp->ud_slave)(ui, reg, um->um_ctlr)) {
 *			  i = (*udp->ud_probe)(reg, um->um_ctlr);
 *			just adding extra args to the probe and slave calls.
 *			Dynamically determine what type of drive, ie. ra60/ra81
 *			and index size tables using that.
 *			Error messages a bit better; some cosmetic changes.
 *			Dynamically configure a new drive if an available msg
 *			for it is received and we have a non-configured slot.
 *			There doesn't seem to be anyway to detect a drive
 *			going offline! Thats silly!
 *	2/23/83 aps --	(uderror) Fixed a printf from always saying hard error
 *			to printing hard or soft conditionally; (uderror) added
 *			mask to switch statement.
 *	3/22/83 aps --	(udprobe) udprobe was expecting another argument
 *			which supposed to be the controller number: this
 *			was changed to be counted and kept in a static int.
 *	8/28/83 bwt --  wrote dump code.
 *	9/05/83 bwt --  fixed udattach() to test dk >= 0 rather than
 *			just > 0.
 */