C calls FORTRAN subroutine

Joel Swank joels at tektronix.UUCP
Thu Nov 1 06:23:29 AEST 1984

> Regarding the fellow who calls a FORTRAN subroutine from his C
> program and is then unable to do I/O from within the FORTRAN
> subroutine:
>
> The problem here is that the FORTRAN start-up code maps logical
> unit numbers to Unix(tm) file descriptors in an implementation
> dependent way.  Since the main program is in C, none of this
> setup gets done.  Thus when the FORTRAN I/O library call is
> executed, it can't find a valid logical unit number table,
> and the output (if any) is trashed.  I'd be amazed if the fellow
> gets any output at all.
>
> A solution?  Unless you have the compiler code to look at, I'm
> afraid it's like the old joke:

I had this problem under 4.2bsd and I found that output was going to
a file called fort.6. I circumvented the problem using a symbolic
link:
      ln -s /dev/tty fort.6

Just execute this command before running the program, and output will
go to the terminal.

Joel Swank
Software Center Tools Support
50-487