4.2BSD Manual Availability

acheng at uiucdcs.UUCP acheng at uiucdcs.UUCP
Mon Oct 22 08:27:00 AEST 1984

>>/* ---------- "4.2BSD Manual Availability" ---------- */
>>
>>     Incidently, we have received many positive comments concerning the new
>>manual layout and format.  Thanks are due Sam Leffler of Lucasfilm and Mike
>>Karels of the University of California, Berkeley for their hard work at organ-
>>izing the manual sections and producing the typeset masters for the printer.
>>John Lassetter, also of Lucasfilm, did the cover design.
>>
>>------- End of Forwarded Message

We have got the new manuals and they are nice.  Smaller and easier to
handle.  But i would like to suggest 2 changes (too late?):

1) The "TABLE OF CONTENTS" and "permuted Index" included in the User's
    Manual--reference Guide" should be also included in the "Programmer's
    Manual--regerence Guide".  Originally, all these sections 1, 2 and 3
    are in one thick volume but the new manuals split 2 and 3 from 1.

2) That little "arrow tail" creature is cute but it occupies too much
    cover space.  The titles for each manual are split into 2 halves
    at the top and bottom of the covers.  Since the 4 volumes of the
    manuals are about the same thickness (that is good), one has to
    look at the top then the bottom to find out what manual it is.
    If the cover would be redesigned, how about make sure the titles
    are together in one spot?  As for now, i am thinking to mark
    each volume with a diff. color pen but can't make up my mind
    what colors to use.

Albert Cheng (ihnp4!uiucdcs!acheng)
Dept. of Computer Science
Univ. of Illionis