Make incompatible with source control?

Eric K. Bustad ekb at link.UUCP
Mon Oct 29 08:17:50 AEST 1984

> > We're maintaining a large group of programs and would like to use
> > either sccs or rcs, but they don't seem to be compatible with make.
> > Has anyone had any experience with using these together?

> ???  "Make" and SCCS have been very well integrated ever since UNIX
> System III.

"Very well integrated?"  Some kludges were added to Make so that it
could halfway reasonably handle SCCS files.  I'm not knocking what
was done, as it would have required a complete redesign for Make to
interface reasonably with SCCS or RCS.  But they are hardly "very well
integrated!"

= Eric Bustad (AT&T Bell Laboratories, Holmdel NJ)
  (201)949-6257
  ihnp4!eric.bustad or link!ekb