Self-paced UNIX Tutorials - a list

carol at uokvax.UUCP carol at uokvax.UUCP
Sat Oct 6 03:20:00 AEST 1984

When I posted a request for information about UNIX self-paced tutorials
on the net many moons ago, several people asked me to post the
results of my search.  Well, here it is.  I might add that
we settled on the program called "NUTSHELL" by Allied Bunker Ramo.
It was the only one that met our budget needs, and though less
interactive than I would have liked (there is absolutely no chance
for the student to test his comprehension), it does provide a great
deal of information in a variety of formats.  In full configuration
it has sections on C and UNIX in manual, tutorial and glossary form.
It provides an index and access to the system manual pages as well.
The whole thing is accessed via a series of menus, handy I suppose
for the novice.  They have an 800 number for dialing up to test the
software yourself, a very nice touch.  And the final selling point
for us was the dropping of the $5/port fee for educational institutions.
We have purchased the UNIX half of NUTSHELL for $300.00, and may later
invest in the C half if we like what we see.  The only problem was the
lack of source code, but what do you expect for $300.00?

The following was compiled from my notes, so please excuse occasional
terseness.  I have a sample output from the NUTSHELL session which
I would be happy to share.  Feel free to get in touch with me if
you have any questions.

			---  Carol Holliman ---
			   ctvax!uokvax!carol

		UNIX Self-Paced Tutorials

User Training Corp.
POB 970, Soquel CA 95073		| educ discounts are ~20% (negot)
408-354-6433				| $995 to lease 4 tapes for 1 month
uses audio cassettes and a black box    | courses sound good - bsd stuff too
you watch examples displayed on screen  |
John Wilk 408-370-9710			| paid out lease $1800-4250 plus
					| cost of hardware and workbooks
					| will credit $995 evaluation
For example:
     mo. rent/permanent "lease"
adv-1   $400/3500 				$3500
adv-2	$400/3500 				 3500
c for prog $475/4250      			 4250
hardware  $205/1610    				 1610
workbooks ~$35 @ 6				 ~240
						------
						13100
- 20% discount					* .80 = 10480

415-945-0448
Walter Zintz
computer-managed-instruction tutorials

**********

Colorado State University
800-525-4950
10 video tapes

**********

The UNIX System Tutorials		| see User Training Corp.
The Santa Cruz Operation
500 Chestnut Street
PO Box 1900
Santa Cruz,  CA 95061
Doreen Hamamura
408-425-7222
low cost cassette lessons
one-on-one style of instruction
variety of topics

***********

UNIX Fundamentals
Computer Technology Group		| 15 videodisks $5250
310 South Michigan Avenue		| seems to be only for IBM pc
Chicago, IL 60604			| also have interesting vidiotapes
Carrel Schulke				| but these are EXPENSIVE
312-987-4084				| $2100-5300 each
800-323-unix
video tapes and student guide
students will have used over 30 UNIX commands

Unix Overview				| 6 tapes $2100
Computer Technology Group
video tapes

************

Interactive  Computer-based C Courseware	| in progress
Institute for Advanced Professional Studies
55 Wheeler Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
Dr Donald D French
617-497-2075
Modular, self-paced, interactive courseware for UNIX to teach
a range of topics on C
can get source code
software and course notes

Interactive Computer-based UNIX Courseware
Institute for Advanced Professional Studies
Modular, self-paced, interactive courseware for UNIX to teach
a range of topics on UNIX
topics: history of, getting started, creating and maintaining files,
UNIX commands, UNIX file system, Communications, Intro to Shell...
software and course notes

**************

Instructional Workbench			| no source code,
AT&T					| no good for bsd systems
Bob Hoffman
1-800-828-8649

**************

Nutshell
Training Services Group, Bunker Ramo
35 Nutmeg Drive
Trumbull, Connecticut
06609
(203) 386-2223
contact: Thomas Wilkes
UNIX and C training on-line
$300./$300.
have 800 number for trial
not completely done, free update, 3 mo to finish
no source code

		Other Related Items of Potential Interest
source:
Data Sources - July 84
	N-274 	MDBS - EDA
	database management course

Unix Software Guide (Digital)
	eh? (Extra Help Facility)
	ANDYNE COMPUTING LIMITED
	PO Box 1496
	221 King Street East
        Kingston, Ontario
	Canada K7l 5C7
	Douglas J Ross, Pres.
	613-548-4355
	displays directories of available docs and provides means to
	display or print a multipage on-line doc
	p121
	$250

      	CAST (Computer-Assisted Self-Training System)
	MEASUREMENT CONCEPT CORP.
	1721 Black River Bouldevard
	Rome, NY 13440
	Maria Rich
	315-337-1000
	$495-2000
	prog language designed for the development and execution of
	computer-aided instruction (CAI) courseware.
	split screen text, limited graphics, recording of student
	performance ...
	p 58
	also listed in /usr/group p165
	contact: David Clark
	no source code

/usr/group  Fall 1983

	CMI (Computer Managed Instruction)
	MEASUREMENT CONCEPT CORP.
	An instructional tool to report on program,lesson
	and student performance in CAI and computer testing.
	p58

	MAINMAN
	MEASUREMENT CONCEPT CORP
	On-line prep, storage, display and printing of manuals and
	technical literature with security and automatic updating assured
	p59