Want to get in touch with other Venix 86 users

Jim Rosenberg jr at wlcrjs.UUCP
Thu Oct 25 17:45:28 AEST 1984

I am interested in getting in touch with other users of Venix86 for the
purposes of forming a Venix User's Group.  There are a number of issues
of interest, including:  (1) attempting to arrive at a consensus and then
lobbying Venturcom with the key things from 4.1 enhancements or System V
that we would like to see implemented in future releases (such as strings,
ctags, etc.)  (2) Helping on providing channels for getting software in
Venix format and ports to Venix.  Unisource maintains the quaint fantasy
that they support the user with applications software.  They don't support,
they market.  They choose a set of piegeonholes, e.g. word processing,
spread sheet, etc., then choose *one* program to fill each pigeonhole and
try like hell to sell it.  Great if that's the program you want, not so
great if you'd prefer another one.  Where's EMACS?  What about a real
DBMS?  etc.  (3) Information exchange.  The 1.18 release of Venix makes it
impossible to have more than 3 Meg. for PC-DOS, period.  Some of us may
need more than that.  They can compile you a version that will allow 8
Meg, but this doesn't help if you need it sooner.  Etc.

If interested please reply by mail, since I am reading the news sporadically
on out-of-town machines.

Jim Rosenberg
decvax!idis!pitt!amanuen!jr