Bug in find(1) in 4.2BSD?

matt at ucla-cs.UUCP matt at ucla-cs.UUCP
Sat Oct 6 08:25:07 AEST 1984

#endif bug

>From: wall at ucbvax.ARPA (Steve Wall)
>
>I've run into the following bug in find(1) in 4.2BSD. I know that there
>was some talk on the USENET about 4 months ago regarding find, but
>I'm not sure if this is what was being discussed. I'm pretty sure that
>I'm using the command correctly, at least as far as the manual page goes.

>arpa % find . -name file_find -exec ls -l {}\;

The find command is being issued incorrectly.  Since you are using
Csh, the sequence {}\; is being ``expanded'' to `;', and you
are really doing an `ls -l' each time a file is found (prove this
to yourself with `echo {}\;').

Try:

	find . -name file_find -exec ls -l "{}" \;

which should work correctly.

					- Matt

-------
UUCP:	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!ucla-cs!locus.matt