LP11 problems -- Help!

unix superuser root at hal.UUCP
Mon Oct 1 23:13:39 AEST 1984

I have two *extremely annoying* problems with line printer
configurations.  Can anybody help?

The first system is a VAX-11/750 running 4.2 BSD.  The printer
is a Dataproducts B300-2 band printer with a Winchester interface.
It is connected to a DEC LP11 controller (module M7258) via a
70-11212-25 cable.  We get consistent I/O errors.  The LP11 sits
at 177514 and has the standard vector address of 200.  I am able
to read/write location 177514 arbitrarily using the VAX console.
The kernel recognizes the lp on booting and gets the address
and vector right.  The entire guts of the printer (it's brand-new)
have been replaced to no avail.  Cables have been swapped, reversed,
inverted, and turned inside-out to no avail.  Two different controllers
have been tried.  Yes, the special file /dev/lp is there.  Major
number is 15, minor 0.  Owned by root; mode 666.  I'm testing
the printer by trying to 'cat' a file to /dev/lp.

The second system is an Integrated Solutions 68010 board running
4.2 BSD.  The printer is an old DEC LP02 drum printer.  It is
connected to a DEC LPV11 Q-bus controller via a 70-11212-25 cable.
Consistent I/O errors.  Same address and vector as on the VAX.
Can read/write location 177514 arbitrarily through the console.
Kernel recognizes the device at boot-time, etc., etc.  The printer
is old but was working fine with an LP11 controller on the 4.1
BSD VAX that this machine is replacing.  Controller and cables
have been swapped.  Special files in place as on the VAX.

Anyone who thinks he or she can shed some light on this problem,
*please* call me COLLECT at (216) 368-3971.

			Blaine T. Garfolo
			CWRU School of Medicine
			Dept. of Biometry
			Cleveland, OH   44106