Neophyte awk question(s)

Ray Simard simard at loral.UUCP
Wed Sep 19 05:56:26 AEST 1984

[Eh?]

I needed an awk process to output an SOH character (binary 1).  When
I put the following in:

	{printf"%c",'\001'}

awk complained and stubbornly refused.  However, the exact same
thing in C (given the syntactical difference with parentheses)
works fine.  I understood that the 'printf' statement in awk
was the same as in C.  At any rate, I can't seem to get an SOH from
awk.

Also, I needed to do a lower-to-upper case conversion. All the mathematical
tricks failed and I wound up creating a string of the alphabet in
upper, then lower case and using 'index' and  'substr' functions
to do it.  Is there a better way?

Many thanks for any ideas.
--
[     I am not a stranger, but a friend you haven't met yet     ]

Ray Simard
Loral Instrumentation, San Diego
{ucbvax, ittvax!dcdwest}!sdcsvax!sdcc6!loral!simard