h,j,k,l in vi

John Ruschmeyer john at moncol.UUCP
Fri Mar 1 02:51:01 AEST 1985

>From: friesen at psivax.UUCP (Stanley Friesen)
>
>	But 'vi' *doesn't* force h,j,k,l cursor control on you.
>Every version of it that I have ever seen also supports the *real*
>arrow keys on terminals that have them.  Why not use them if you
>don't like the ADM3-a approach.

Not quite- to be specific, 'vi' will use the arrow keys provide that your
terminal transmits some code or another when you press them. Many terminals
(P-E 1200's) treat the arrow keys as a local command and do not send them
to the host.

  Even if you terminal *does* send a code for each of its arrow keys, you
may still not be able to use them in 'vi'.  One of the arrow keys on my
TRS-80 Model 100 sends a code which is apparently reserved in 'vi'. (I
think it is ^_ .) Whenever I use it, I get a 'no tags file' error message.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764