ksh availability

Gene Spafford spaf at gatech.UUCP
Fri Mar 15 08:28:20 AEST 1985

In article <567 at rlgvax.UUCP> guy at rlgvax.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
>> Well, I don't know about you, but it only cost me $800 for UNIX, including
>> the csh.  Now they want to sell me the "ksh" for another $2000.  No thanks.
>> This is one piece of software that for the price deserves to be pirated!
>
>Point 1:
>
>If you got source for that $800, AT&T got ripped off and their lawyers will
>want to get somebody.  The $2000 for "ksh" is for the *source* - that means
>if you don't have a UNIX source license, you probably can't get "ksh" source

Counterpoint:
Educational institutions pay $800 to get source licenses for Unix Sys V.
Another $150 (?) will get a Berkeley distribution tape. Do you think many
of us are going to pay $2000 for ksh?  No!  Nor are many of us going
to shell out the bucks that AT&T is charging for the new uucp stuff.
I don't know about other places, but we can't afford it here.

I guess many educational institutions, especially the public ones, will
never find out if the Korn shell is all that great, or if Honey DanBer
uucp is the niftiest thing since sliced yogurt.   Whether that will
affect the future market for other AT&T goodies is beyond my ability
to forsee.
--
Gene "5 months and counting" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332