use of net.sources

bill at persci.UUCP bill at persci.UUCP
Thu Mar 28 03:42:52 AEST 1985

> Lauren is partially right.  net.sources should not be used to distribute
> large, important, and useful programs.
> Instead, they should be posted to "mod.sources" via "genrad!sources".  This
> way, the moderator can limit the amount of source being transferred per day,
> and can check that the "shar" packages are appropriately built.
> Limiting access to ARPA sites, or via tape/snail mail severely limits the
> distribution, and causes much more work to be performed by the author after
> donating the freeware.
> regards,joe
Thank you, Joe. You are quite right. I had forgotten about "mod.sources" (is
that because I haven't seen anything on it for a while?). I didn't really
intend to come down on Lauren as heavily as my previous posting sounded, but
I do have a genuine concern that the system may become divided into the 'haves'
and 'have nots', and messages like the one I read appeared to advocate that
division. It's not quite so bad with the 'have' vs. 'sort-of-have' system we've
got now, where much of the stuff still gets to us 'lesser' sites.
By the way, I hope people don't mind my compressing their (> included) letters.
I prefer to keep my postings short (< 1 screen).
--
Bill Swan (..uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill)
Live in Seattle! 100000000000 slugs couldn't be wrong!