Framing errors and autobaud @ 2400

William L. Sebok wls at astrovax.UUCP
Mon Mar 25 07:18:13 AEST 1985

> Now I am finding that downshifting from 2400 baud to 1200 baud more closely
> resembles the 300->1200 upshift in that sending a BREAK is the more reliable
> way.  It is not always the case, however.  There are times when just a CR
> from my 1200 baud modem calling a tri-speed modem at 2400 baud will cause
> the port to fallback to 1200.  Many times, however, a BREAK is required to
> cause the downshift.

I decided to take another tack here at astrovax.  I installed code in my
getty to add an option to explicitly autobaud on an initial carriage return.
The code to do this on 4.2 BSD was posted on 23-Nov-83 by Jim McKie
(jim at mcvax.UUCP).  This has the welcome side effect that it prevents modems
that echo dialing commands (or anything else) from getting into a conversation
with getty, which interprets the echoing of the login banner as an attempt to
login.
--
Bill Sebok			Princeton University, Astrophysics
{allegra,akgua,burl,cbosgd,decvax,ihnp4,noao,princeton,vax135}!astrovax!wls