CBREAK translation (HACKers, note)

Charles Lambert chas at ihuxe.UUCP
Thu Mar 21 10:36:52 AEST 1985

I noticed some discussion of the "Berkleyism" CBREAK, recently. I ran
into this beastie whilst trying to port the infamous HACK sources onto
System 5. Fortunately, with a copy of 4.2 BSD Programmers Manual to hand,
I gleaned the following information:

	If the CBREAK flag is set, the terminal input behaves in "half-
	cooked" (as opposed to raw) mode. I understand this to mean that
	each character is normally returned as soon as it is typed (non-
	canonical, no line editing) BUT the BREAK and INTERRUPT signals
	are still processed.

In the new arrangement of terminal controls, the matters of canonical input
and signal interception are controlled by separate flags. Thus, the
equivalent of CBREAK seems to be:

	(ISIG | ~ICANON)

Haven't verified this yet, just a (hopefully helpful) suggestion.

Charlie Lambert
AT&T Bell Labs
Naperville, IL.