Formatting Fujitsu Eagles under 4.2 BSD Unix

Karl Danz karl at cygnet.CYGNETSYSTEMS
Sat Mar 2 17:00:27 AEST 1985

[]
>Also, adding new bad blocks to the list is a real pain -- the list of
>bad blocks is kept in sorted order, so when you add a block to it, all
>the ones after it must be shifted down one (i.e., you need to copy the
>contents of the forwarded block to the next physical block on the disk).

We were bitten by this same problem (on an Eagle as well).  I retched at
the thought of all that manual shifting and instead made the inclosed
one line change to /sys/vax/dkbad.c (4.2BSD).  I suppose it doubles the
average time spent looking up replacement blocks, but somehow I doubt
that's our major performance bottleneck!

RCS file: RCS/dkbad.c,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff  -r1.1 dkbad.c
25c25