ma(pping) Re: h,j,k,l in vi

Stanley Friesen friesen at psivax.UUCP
Tue Mar 5 05:01:37 AEST 1985

In article <610 at vu44.UUCP> tstorm at vu44.UUCP writes:
>>	But 'vi' *doesn't* force h,j,k,l cursor control on you.
>>Every version of it that I have ever seen also supports the *real*
>>arrow keys on terminals that have them.  Why not use them if you
>>don't like the ADM3-a approach.
>etc. etc.
>>

>You were probably using a version 2.XX which uses the ma(pping)
>definition of termcap.
>Imagine the following situation:
>The cursor-right key sends ctrl-L
>The redraw screen command of visual is ctrl-L
>
>Now map ctrl-L on l and ctrl-P on ctrl-L
>The redraw screen command of visual is now ctrl-P
>and one can use the arrow keys.
>
>Can anyone comment on the question why version 3.X does not use
>'ma' anymore?
>--
	In fact I have used mostly 3.X.  What MY vi does is
automatically use the  k* special key definations from termcap.
If cursor-right is CTL-L then that assignment takes precedence
over using CTL-L as a redraw command(I know since I am using an
adm11).  There is a *second* redraw screen command CTL-R which I
use without needing to resort to mapping.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen