ksh availability

Randy King rjk at mgweed.UUCP
Wed Mar 6 14:51:15 AEST 1985

<><><><>

Although I am an employee of AT&T, I have always expressed my personal
opinions of our products openly (much to the dismay of some) whether I
felt it was good, mediocre, or bad.   I say that so I don't sound like
yet another corporate commercial.

We have been using Dave's shell (ksh) for over a year now, and I can
confidently say that it has increased the efficiency of those who
have used it.  I have used Mashey's shell, Bourne's shell, and toyed
with the "csh."  All are great in their own right, but I feel that ksh
has finally pulled them all together and has improved on them.

The history functions, job control, vi mode, emacs mode, math and
array processing are incredible and a joy to use.  Seriously, if I
didn't already have it I would get it.  I'm pleased to see that it is
now available to everybody.   When I first made it the "default" shell,
I didn't tell anyone to see what would break.  After a couple of weeks
and no reports, I let folks in on it.

If you like csh and need /bin/sh compatibility, ksh will probably meet
or exceed your expectations.  When someone posting a shell archive
caveats with "use standard shell, not csh" the subset of "standard"
shells includes ksh.

Sorry again for the commercial, but I feel that this chunk of code
can benefit many folks outside of the company.  Like I said, these
are only my own opinions.
						Randy King
						AT&T-CP at MG
						ihnp4!mgweed!rjk