SIGHUP & SIGINT confusion

Jorge Chiang jorge at ides.UUCP
Fri Apr 25 01:37:51 AEST 1986

I've got a question for you Unix wizards:

Here is the scenario:

When somebody is connected to a machine (AT&T 3b2/3b5 in my case) and turns
the terminal off or pulls the rs232 cable the programs running get a SIGHUP.

When somebody is dialing in through a modem and turns off the modem or pulls
the phone line the programs running also get SIGHUP. If the same guy turns off
the terminal/PC, etc., or pulls the rs232 cable the programs get SIGINT.

Is this behavior normal?

My programs do full screen data entry and ignore SIGINT and SIGQUIT
so that the terminal settings don't get messed up. But, if when a  user
disconnects and my programs get SIGINT, they may not do the extra cleanup
I need when they receive SIGHUP or even worse the session may remain on
even though the user is already gone. (Security breach!!! :-() )

If you have any insights please let me know.

Jorge Chiang
AT&T Information Systems
850 Trafalgar Court Room 4C30
Maitland, Florida 32751